Friday, November 6, 2009

Let the yumminess begin.

As a child, whenever I was visiting my Grandma Micki's house, you can bet there were cookies in her cookie jar. That cookie jar was the best thing in the Whole. Wide. World.

What made it better than any other cookie jar, you ask? Try snatching a cookie out of my mother's cookie jar, then we'll talk.

Okay. Really my point is that you could snatch cookies at nine in the morning, 11:55 (just as you're sitting down to lunch), nine in the evening...and any old time in between. Without being scolded or getting your little hand swatted!

More often than not, Grandma had Ice Box Cookies stored in her cookie jar. (On occasion, she'd go on strike and just buy Oreos, though.) Grandma's Ice Box Cookies are my favorite cookie of all time. I was fortunate enough to get a recipe for them, and now I'll share it with you!

Ice Box Cookies
(a.k.a. Refrigerator Cookies)










1 C. Sugar
1 C. Brown Sugar
2/3 C. Shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco)
2/3 C. Butter (room temp.)
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs

3 1/4 C. Flour
1 C. Chopped Nuts (I used pecans and walnuts,
but whatever you have on hand is fine)
1 tsp. Salt

1. Cream together first six ingredients, adding eggs one at a time.

2. Mix in dry ingredients, adding flour gradually.

3. Seperate cookie dough into two equal-sized balls. Form each ball into a roll (approximately 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter) and wrap in wax paper. Chill at least 8 hours.

4. Slice about 1/8 inch thick and bake (I prefer to use parchment paper) at 375 degrees for 8 minutes - or until edges are just golden brown.

(See where there are a couple missing? Avery and I just couldn't wait any longer...)

I promise - if you like buttery, nutty, chewy and crunchy goodness, you will love these cookies.

No comments: