Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall Findings

With H1N1 (a.k.a. "swine flu") making its presence known lately, we've been a bit hermit-like in these parts. Due to the fact that Avery and I have no obligations to the outside world on a day to day basis, I thought we'd just weather this storm in the comfort of our home.

Then I remembered we currently share a home with my mother (and who filled in at the pediatric department last week, assisting in the treatment of approximately 40 sick children).

As I was thinking of all those scary germs, I remembered another frightening fact: money is some of the most germy, yucky stuff on earth. It just so happens that money is something my husband handles EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. *shudder*

Needless to say, I implemented a strict hand washing law; the minute one walks in the door, hands must be washed, and clothes must be changed.

I feel I need to defend myself...I am usually not a germ-a-phobe. The 3 second rule for eating food dropped on the floor in our house is sometimes stretched to 5 and even 10 seconds. Heck, if a piece of candy goes unnoticed for a few days, and Avery snatches it up and eats it, I've even managed to not cringe.

But this flu has us all in a tizzy, so we've stayed in. We've been baking (more to come on that later), doing craft projects, reading books, and playing indoor games. Autumn has all but passed us by. Then, yesterday I glimpsed the sun shining through the window as my son jumped wildly on my couch cushions.

Okay, so we won't be going to the park and exchanging nasty high-fives with germy kids, or careening down the booger-smeared slide. But we sure can walk around the neighborhood! So off we strolled into the crisp autumn air.

By the time we returned home, I had an armful of "pwetty weaves."








I'm so glad we didn't miss this.

No comments: