Saturday, May 8, 2010

IntelliGender Confusion

For some reason, I've been slightly convinced that this little bean I'm carrying just might be a girl. (Really, this is only supported by two very weak facts: 1. I've been crazy-sick this pregnancy, and 2. Baby's heart rate has been in the high 150's to low 160's range.) It's been killing me that we have to wait so long to find out the sex of the baby! I mean, hey, Matt and I have agreed that this is our last babe, so it's sort of our last hoorah - or something.

Anyway, our ultrasound is scheduled for May 28th. Woohoo. Great. Whoop-dee-doo. That's still another 3 weeks away! My in-laws are coming the week before, and it would be fantastic if we knew, and could celebrate, when they're here. I even considered calling my physician's office to see if we could move our appointment a week earlier. Then I remembered I'll just be 18 weeks on the 28th...and since the window of optimum heart imaging is between 18-20 weeks, I figured we'd better not push our luck. So I gave in.

Then I talked to my friend, Sara, last night! There is something called the IntelliGender Gender Prediction Test. As my pal was explaining this to me, I was thinking that it's probably about as accurate as dangling a pendant above your belly and waiting to see if it moves from side to side, or in circles (By the way, I did this one, too...and it made circles - which is supposed to mean it's a girl!). But apparently, some actual "doctors" claim that this test is 90% accurate, and can be performed as early as 10 weeks into your pregnancy. It detects hormones in your urine, indicating by a color code the sex of your baby.

Ok, so I wasn't exactly convinced yet...but I sure was curious. So this morning I headed to my local CVS pharmacy and bought a test ($40 plus tax!!!). Now, I didn't take photos of my results, but I can tell you they looked like the girl results on this page! I'm not about to rush out and buy everything pink and ruffly I can find, but it's sort of fun - especially if it's accurate! If, on the 28th, however, we're told we're having another boy, I will definitely regret the purchase price. My husband will surely have something to say on the matter, as well.

No comments: